Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ring Ring

answering calls for interviews is either damn annoying, or damn amusing. depending on the person on the other line.

foreigner: hello, are you accepting foreigners?
me: no
foreigner: oh ok... (sounds depressed as if the next thing he/she's gonna do the moment i hang up is jump off a building)

but usually, i hang up the second i say 'no' so i don't have to hear their pitiful renditions to try and negotiate for us to arrange for an interview for them which by the way i cannot do no matter how pathetically they plead because the fact of the matter remains that WE ARE NOT HIRING FOREIGNERS. i mean, did you think i said no just so i could roll over laughing as you sing your sorrows? i'm sadistic, not that sadistic.

foreigner with shamelessly thick foreign accent: i am calling to enquire about-
me cutting them short: are you singaporean or pr?
momentary silence as the stunned foreigner is stumped a second
foreigner regaining their composure: sorry what-
me interrupting again: are you singaporean or pr?
foreigner: erm *mumbles something slurred* none of the above

i swear one of them said that to me. none of the above. what are we, taking a quiz or something?

but here's a local who tickled my bones

boy: hello is there an age limit?
me: well it depends, how young are you?
boy: fifteen.
me: ok, whatev that should be fine. so are you studying?
boy: yeah.
me: well this is a full time position.
boy: yeah i can do that.
me: i thought you said you were studying.
boy: oh ya *starts to stammer and stumble over his words* but i'm having school holiday now.
me: oh ok then it shouldn't be a problem, do you have experience?
boy: erm, no BUT eventhough i don't have experience i am ready to experience this!


WTF. kids these days. getting more creative.

oh and eventhough this next excerpt has nothing to do with the interview calls, i absolutely HAVE to share it.


guy selling me a printer: what is your account number ma'am?
me: i'm not sure which one is my account number, is it 50001000233?
guy: yes correct, can you say it slowly ma'am? five...
me: zero thrice...
guy repeating slowly after me: jilo jilo jilo...
me surpressing my uncontrollable sniggering:one zero zero zero...
guy again: one jilo jilo jilo jilo...
me: no, no just three zeroes!
guy: okay okay jilo jilo jilo....



people are just utterly fascinating don't you think.
[pink post-it]




i just got to keep reminding myself that i'm HAPPY and one day i just might get lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment